Reasons Why Creative Arts Academy
Is A Top Dance Program:
- Creative Arts Academy's mission is to create exceptionally trained dancers and artists who also understand the importance of using their talents and skills to give back to their community.
- Our students have been hired into professional ballet and contemporary dance companies, been accepted into and received scholarships in ballet and modern dance at universities, and been hired for commercial work throughout the United States.
- Every year we have CAA students that represent their high school in the State Sterling Scholar Competition for the State of Utah.
- CAA was recognized for outstanding ballet training by the Salt Lake Tribune in 2011. CAA ballet instructors are certified through the American Ballet Theatre's teacher training program, one of the most rigorous and prestigious ballet teacher training programs in the world. Our Ballet Company students have received several awards at the Youth America Grand Prix and was the 1st place Ensemble at the 2016 American Ballet Competition. CAA was honored to be named "Outstanding School" at the Denver YAGP semi-final in 2014.
- Our Touring Company students have received numerous first place awards for solo and group dances at NUVO, JUMP, 24Seven, Adrenaline, LA Dance Magic, and Hollywood Vibe dance conventions and was in the Studio of the Year Top 5 at the 2017 Dance Awards Nationals in Las Vegas. CAA was featured in Dance Teacher magazine in 2012. In 2014 our students placed 1st and 2nd in the State Sterling Scholar competition in dance for the State of Utah.
- Our faculty includes several former or current dancers who have danced with Utah’s five major dance companies – Ballet West, Ririe Woodbury, Odyssey Dance Theatre, Repertory Dance Theatre, and SALT and other dance professionals with degrees in dance who have taught in universities and high schools throughout Utah. CAA is committed to hiring the most talented and inspiring teachers in the state.
- CAA promotes student choreography. The students perform in blackbox performances twice a year that focuses on modern dance repertory and student choreography. We also attend modern and contemporary dance festivals such as SALT and New Century Dance Festival where students learn new works and have their pieces adjudicated.
- CAA dancers train in the state-of-the-art facility containing eleven dedicated dance studios with sprung marley floors in over 30,000 square feet of space. We offer a variety of classes in ballet, pointe, contemporary, jazz, modern, improv, jazz technique, hip hop, tap and ballroom.
- CAA stages three full productions each year: a full ballet production, a contemporary concert and a benefit concert for charity. CAA students have performed Swan Lake, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella and Romeo and Juliet classical ballets as well as original contemporary ballet productions including Alice In Wonderland, Peter Pan, and The Wizard of Oz. The students perform in the ballet productions as well as performing all the soloist roles. In our contemporary concerts the dancers perform contemporary, jazz, hip hop, tap and ballroom as well as dance in film.
- Our students shine off the stage as well. CAA's students have raised over $120,000 for local families and charities. The senior dancers in CAA's program are in charge of the benefit concert which helps develop these dancers into great leaders. Our dance companies donate themed baskets and baked goods to sell at the the concert. This inspiring event brings our community together.
- CAA has a program specifically designed to prepare students for their university auditions and college experiences. Students receive guidance and direction from professional dancers and university professors. The students are taught and mentored by these professors who teach classic modern repertory and give the students feedback on their college audition solos. They also help the students prepare for the Sterling Scholar program. We have teachers who have attended Juilliard, The Hartt School, Ohio State University, University of Utah and Brigham Young University.
- We host Utah Dance Festival in conjunction with Utah Dance Education Organization. We invite studios from throughout the state of Utah to attend and take master classes from university professors and professional dancers. The dancers attending then perform their pieces and have their works adjudicated with verbal and written feedback.
- We host many master classes throughout the year. We bring in professionals from the competition circuit as well as professional dancers and university professors. Master teachers have included: Travis Wall, Saleemah Knight, Jason Parsons, Chantel Aguirre, Michael Keefe, Nick Lazzarini, Teddy Forance, Andrew Winghart, Katy Spreadbury, Channing Cooke, Lauren Adams, Francisco Gella, Chevon Wespi'tschopp, Kate Harpootlian, Kristen Gorski, Katherine Lawrence, and Alison Stroming.